PDM was once part of the Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel Company, a nationwide American steel fabrication company involved in some of US’ most astounding monumental construction projects, including the Saint Louis Arch (fabricator and erector) and the World Trade Center.
1954—The Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel Company began a new venture, PDM Steel Service Centers, with the acquisition of the Proctor-James Steel Company in San Jose, California.
1955—PDM purchases Kyle & Company, with California facilities in Fresno, Stockton and Sacramento.
1962—A new facility is constructed in Fresno.
1968—PDM Steel completes a large, state-of-the-art service center in Stockton, which becomes the geographical hub of the service wheel to the other PDM service centers.
1974—A new warehouse is completed in Sparks, Nevada, servicing Central California, Northern California, and Northern Nevada, and today serves as the hub for PDM’s Nevada Region.
1977—A new service center is established in Spanish Fork, Utah, which eventually becomes the hub for PDM’s Intermountain Region, serving Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, and New Mexico.
1985—PDM implements a companywide online system, giving employees access to all data for customers, inventory and sales.
1989—Our first CAD/CAM systems are put in place to enhance burning accuracy and greatly improve turnaround time for customers.
1997—PDM purchases carbon steel service center General Steel in Vancouver, Washington.
1999—The Vancouver branch relocates to a newly designed facility in Woodland, Washington and becomes the hub for PDM’s Pacific Northwest Region, serving Washington, Oregon, and parts of Alaska.
2001—Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co. purchases PDM Steel.
2003—PDM enters the Las Vegas market with delivery supplemented through Fresno and Spanish Fork.
2005—PDM Steel moves into a full-service warehouse in Las Vegas, Nevada, delivering throughout Southern Nevada and into Southern Utah.
2008—A transfer yard and sales office is established in Grand Junction, Colorado to aid the company’s expansion from the Spanish Fork facility into Colorado and New Mexico.
2008—PDM acquires Engbar Pipe and Steel in Denver, Colorado, expanding service and product offering into the greater Colorado market and parts of Wyoming.
2008—PDM builds and moves to a cutting edge facility in Las Vegas, now housing a complete product offering with multiple processing capabilities serving the Southern Nevada market and parts of Utah, Arizona, and California.
2008—The Company purchases a multifunction precision plate processing center in Fresno.
2010—A second processing center is incorporated into Spanish Fork, providing improved thermal cutting capabilities as well as drilling, punching, tapping, scribing and marking all on one machine.
2010—PDM installs a 120-ton iron worker in Fresno for augmenting the production of plate and small structural parts.
2011—With the installation of a 1,000-ton x 24’ press brake, PDM Steel adds heavy plate forming capabilities to its Plate Processing Center.
2012—The company adds two multi-axis beveling machines to its Plate Processing Center in Fresno, a laser cutting machine to its Sparks location.
2013—PDM Steel acquires the Stockton location of Feralloy Western Division, expanding PDM’s products to include flat rolled steel, coil slitting, greater cut-to-length capabilities and a variety of additional product offerings.
2015—This newly acquired location, known as Feralloy PDM Steel Service, becomes one of the largest flat roll operations in the West and an ISO 9001:2008 certified facility (re-certified in 2018 to meet ISO 9001:2015 certification standards)
2016—The Corporate office relocates to Elk Grove, California.
2017—PDM's Plate Processing Center in Fresno, California becomes the second ISO certified facility within PDM (PPC is also an ISO 9001:2015 Certified facility).